Welcome to Kidney Connect, an online social network for people living with - and affected by - kidney disease. Please introduce yourself here.

Views: 22854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing to add.  If your boyfriend has a choice of dialysis machines,  ask what the differences are.  I'm in the Toronto area and chose the Newton Cycler  as opposed to Baxter.  I was told by the nurses that the Newton Cycler dialysis fluid had  a better Ph balance for your body which was gentler  than the Baxter fluid.  The  cap that goes on the catheter tip  from your stomach is also smaller.

Thanks, I am not sure we will have a choice but good info thanks Lori!

Hello from Northern Ontario. I was diagnosed with Kidney Disease at the age of 16.  At age 27 I started hemodialysis.  Was on that for 3 years before my amazing Mother donated a kidney to me days after my 30th birthday (quite appropriate for giving me life twice!).
She gave me 12 great years of life away from dialysis.  I went through rejection of that kidney in 2010 and the transplant team saved it (although very damaged) and me.  I have spent the last 6+ years (since my rejection treatment) in semi-quarantine due to no immune system.  It has had its challenges, but I have managed to continue to appreciate life to its fullest, no matter what.
In 2016 I had to make a choice about dialysis again.  This time I opted for home PD (cycler) and have been on it for over 6 months and getting ready to be put on the list for Kidney #2 (unless I am able to find a live donor of course!)
I have had a lot of experience with this disease and while I am sure to learn from others here, since no two experiences are the same, I hope I can offer those with any questions, concerns, worries - both to patients and their families - a peace of mind about this journey and a positive outlook over the fear and anxiety that can surface at any time.
Cheers fellow Warriors!

hi there 

I'm new to the kidney forums, wanting to reach out to others dealing with the same thing.

have CKD due to a genetic condition called Alagilliy syndrome :/ I'm 39 with a husband, 2 cats & a rescue dog 

I'm currently in stage 3 almost 4 with my latest eGFR rate being 31 and my creatine at 176.

The only restrictions right now are to try & go more vegetarian... Any words of wisdom from those dealing with it longer ? 

Hi,

Things can be a challenge for sure, I find the diet very restrictive for my partner who isn't great with veggies. I think one of the bisect things for us has been to try to stay positive, which on some days can be difficult. Live all the fur babies, we have two cats, one is deaf and one a rescue and one geriatric half blind poodle who is barometer for when ?John is not feeling well. :)
Hello,
I have PKD. Got is around 15. Scheduled for a pre emptive transplant in April. My husband of 26 years is my donor ❤. Having surgery at St. Paul's in Vancouver. We live in Williams Lake.
GFR *
Hi, I'm in Vancouver and was diagnosed with FSGS in December 2013. Recently I've been wanting to talk to anybody about my experience and compare notes with others going through renal failure. My friends are sympathetic and understanding but they don't really get it. So I decided to find a support group and here I am.

Welcome to the board Wendy. I know you will find a lot of people willing to chat with you and discuss what is going on with them and their kidney issues and it helps to talk to others that are in the same boat as you are. It is very hard for people that do not have kidney disease to relate to those that do simply because they can  not feel the effects of the disease that you feel.

There is also the psychological side of the disease and that is half the battle in and of itself.

One of the the things I found most helpful is to not live for the disease but to live with it. With modern treatments available today kidney disease is very manageable but it takes a lot of effort, time and work, and like anything else you only get out of it what you put into it.

I think a lot of us get into the why me mind set and become depressed and that's easy to do but the truth is almost all kidney failure is no ones fault it just happens. It is a disease that occurs across the world and no one is immune from it. Very few people have kidney disease from something they did in life that caused it like drug abuse or coming in contact with an outside element that causes the disease to flair up. There is some genetic possibilities but the reality is no one knows for sure what causes it. Again it does no good to point fingers looking for blame. Your time is better spent dealing with the condition and working on keeping the kidney function you have left with proper diet, exercise and medical treatment.

Any questions you have just ask and I am sure others will jump in to try and answer what they can for you.

Thanks Pete. It's heartening to know I'm not alone with this disease. I've felt that way since it all began. I look forward to finding people to connect with and talk to.
Hi everyone

My sister always tells me not to check on ehealth after a blood test but darn it I can't help it. I had a test on Wednesday and I'm at 14%GFR now. I'm not surprised, I knew it was coming. I've been extra tired lately, appetite isn't great. I have a neuphrologist appt on Tuesday. Problem is my doctor was in the wrong health authority and she's retired so I have to go to a new doctor/clinic in my own health authority. Wendy I see your from Vancouver. My neuphrologist was in the Diamond Center, very easy to get to. But that's the Coastal Authority and I'm in Fraser Health Authority which means I have to go to Surrey now. Driving in Surrey is even scarier than Stage 5. Apologies to anyone living in Surrey but too many shootings at cars lately. I get lost trying to find it every time. Ended up in New Westminster even when I was using a GPS.

I have no idea where I will go from here. Do people in Stage 5 still drive? I feel way too sleepy to go further than the closest grocery store, even at that I may start ordering groceries in.

Other question is about Ontario. I have family in Ottawa. I grew up there. It is more my size of city, everything is more convenient - except the weather. Does anyone know if services in Ottawa would be easy to get since I'm moving from a different province? I want to do home dialysis. I wanted to try PD but can't now because of a scar.

I'd have to sell my house here, etc. But I'd want to do that soon as long as it's not to late to decide that.

Shirley

Shirley they can put an emergency inlet in your neck to get you on Hemo therapy a lot faster so that is not an issue. The tissue is finding a clinic you can get yourself to and I can not help you on that. They will need to do surgery to get a fistula put in for long term hemo dialysis and that takes about 6 months total healing time but the emergency fistula will hold you until then,.. Your in for a lot of new training so get ready to learn a new way of life and diet and exercise.

Best of luck to you!!

RSS

Members

Prefer to connect with someone by telephone?

Call Toll-Free: 1 866 390-PEER (7337)
A Kidney Foundation Program Coordinator will talk with you and discuss your request to be matched with a Peer Support Volunteer.

© 2017   Created by Louise.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service