Welcome to Kidney Connect, an online social network for people living with - and affected by - kidney disease. Please introduce yourself here.

Views: 25374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Lori,

Well the training is going to cobber a whole lot of what you as an RN already know. Clean, clean, clean and stay clean. 

Besides the staying clean thing they will teach you how to connect to your machine and to your manual exchanges that you do without a machine. The machine comes later.

The pain to me was not bad but I did need some Tylenol with codeine for the first 3 days.  That's when I found out I am an "AAA" person meaning I am allergic to Aspirin, I have  severe constipation with Tylenol and I also have Asthma. I would make sure and take a laxative to prevent you from having to use pressure with bowl movements after the surgery.

After about 3 to 4 days you will start to get back to normal and you will want a shower. I bought some things called shower shields that have glue or sticky stuff on 4 corners that you slap over your catheter and it keeps the water out while showering. You can also just use a baggie and put the catheter in that and turn the bag upside down and tape it to your tummy real good to keep it dry and clean..

For someone with medical training the class will just be a refresher course. But they will cover things like EPO for if your blood levels get low on red cells and a few other things.

Most of the training will actually come after your class when your doing it all on your own but you will have hand outs and a phone number to call if you get stuck. You will wash your hands more times in a week then you ever have in your entire life going thru training and even after training to make sure you stay clean while connecting and reconnecting.

The idea is that doing this at night frees you up during the day to go about your daily activities. Some folks do not filter as well and may need to do mid day exchanges manually. The more you can do at night reduces a risk of hernia sloshing around with a belly full of fluid during the day. In bed laying down the risk of hernia is lessened.

Lori I have talked with you numerous times and I am of the opinion that peritoneal is what your going to want to do. Your very independent and do not require someone else to do the work for you like with in center hemo. The thing is your PD nurse and doctor will assess if they think it will be a right fit for you and that will pretty much decide which route you go. PD is not for everyone. If a person goes in with dirty clothes on and poor hygiene you can bet they will not be sent home to do PD.

Hi lorlee99:    PD catheter surgery was painful. Since the catheter is in  your stomach; pretty much any movement involves stomach muscles.  Consequently sitting was  problematic unless I was sitting very upright. I found a bar stool in my basement that worked best. Getting in and out of bed was a problem; again the stomach muscles are engaged. I was on prescription pain pills. It was about 7 days before I felt I could do regular activities.  

The PD training was 10 mornings at the CKD clinic. (Toronto area).  I was taught how PD works, manual dialysis (in case of power failures or machine malfunction).  The bulk of the training was learning about the cycler (nocturnal dialysis machine), and the various strengths of the dialysis solutions; how to break the bags and set them up for the machine.   It's pretty intimidating at first but I was given a manual that was very detailed.  Also learned catheter care.  

If you have a choice of machines; (eg. Baxter or Fresenius) my neph nurses said Freseninus  dialysis solution has a closer  PH balance to your body.  It also has easier shut off valves.  The catheter cap is smaller than the Baxter one, so it doesn't show as much through your clothing.............. Hope this helps!!

Thanks Lori!

Exactly the information I wanted... especially the length of training and what it involves. As far as stomach most of what you describe is how I felt after my hyterectomy painwise. Getting out of bed was the worst! 

That's awesome info!! Thanks sooo much.

I found some interesting statistics on Kidney Transplants in America. These are from 2014 statistics the newest I can find on line about kidney donation.

Every 14 minutes that go by in America someone is added to the kidney transplant list.

In 2014 in America 13 people died each day awaiting a kidney Transplant.

In America in 2014 17,107 transplants took place. Of these transplants 11,570 came from deceased donors. That left 5.537 from living donors.

Right now altruistic kidney donation  or rather unassigned kidney donation is 3 percent of all donations received. So in 2014  a total of 513 people donated a kidney to someone they did not even know.

In other words not a whole of of people donating kidneys altruistically to people they do not know..

U tried looking up the statistics for Canada on the same thing but could not find a definitive answer. One paper said said that there were 10 people in 2006 that donated a kidney to someone they did not know in Canada.

If anyone has better data or something that shows the total number of kidneys donated and unassigned in Canada in recent years I would love to her from  you. By this I mean someone who simply walked in and donated a kidney to anyone that might need one.

This kind of donation is extremely rare. I know it is done but it just is not done very often.

Some studies have also been done offering to pay for kidneys at 10 thousand per kidney and all kinds of people came out of the woodwork to complain about being paid to donate a kidney. Surprisingly the studies showed that not a whole lot of people would be willing to donate a kidney for cash or at least not for 10 thousand dollars.

There have been all kinds of attempts to increase kidney donation and all have failed miserably. The reality of it is most people do not want to give up body parts short of being dead.

I’ve read that in Canada Kidney donation is broken down by Province. B.C. and Ontario have the lowest rate of available kidneys. I believe Nova Scotia has the highest rate. But when you look at our populations in each Province that makes sense. Ontario has the largest population, BC the second largest. So maybe they don’t keep overall Canadian statistics. 

To be honest I can’t say if I was perfectly healthy that I would be willing to donate an organ to a stranger. Maybe it’s a primal self preservation thing. I was willing to dontate a part of my liver to my husband but, of course, it wouldn’t have been accepted. 

Yes I think people have any number of reasons why they refuse to donate to a stranger. Basically there is nothing in it for them. So they have no incentive to donate a perfectly good organ to a complete stranger.

I think family members in particular women feel that their child or other family member may need an organ that they would be a match for so they don't donate altruistically to a stranger.

The other side of the coin is simply going thru the surgery and then if the one kidney they have left fails then they are in the same boat as the person they donated to. But here in the states if you donate a kidney and yours fails you move to the top of the list for kidney donations.

No one wants to go through a surgery if they don’t have to. Thinking of myself, I was 60 before I was ever admitted to hospital. It’s an understandable fear I suppose, although a lot of women have given birth so have had at least a taste of it. I adopted. My daughter apologized because she feels bad but it’s exactly as you say. Her fear is that something will happen to the other one, but I think even going to the top of the list isn’t much comfort because, again, who wants to put themselves through that if it’s avoidable. My 2 sister’s want to test but they are in their 70’s and have health issues, minor ones in one sister (thyroid) but I’m sure that would disqualify her.

Yes the cutoff age is 65 for donation and you have to be 18 to donate.

You can not have anything wrong with you or your disqualified. No high blood pressure no hepatitis, no health problems of any kind and you still have to pass a plethora of test in  order to qualify. In the United States

• There are currently 121,678 people waiting for lifesaving organ transplants in the U.S. Of these, 100,791 await kidney transplants. (as of 1/11/16) 1
  • The median wait time for an individual’s first kidney transplant is 3.6 years and can vary depending on health, compatibility and availability of organs.2

I think in Canada it is 70 to donate but on the kidney foundation website it says that there could be exceptions. Also something I had never thought of before this summer was that I was briefly on the wait list and they said that if I were to receive a kidney from a deceased donor that there are two lists ( younger donors and older donors) and since I was still young I should only be on the younger deceased donor list ( I am 43) since I will have needed more mileage out of the new kidney

That's great that you're still considered "young"! :)

I'm sure I'd be on the "old" list..I'm 53 next month...

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Prefer to connect with someone by telephone?

Call Toll-Free: 1 866 390-PEER (7337)
A Kidney Foundation Program Coordinator will talk with you and discuss your request to be matched with a Peer Support Volunteer.

© 2018   Created by Louise.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service